Religious Liberty Litigation
The Firm and Mr. Lewin have participated on behalf of a party or filed a brief amicus curiae in the most important religious liberty cases decided by the US Supreme Court in the past four decades.
In the following Supreme Court cases, Mr. Lewin represented a party and presented oral argument:
- Estate of Thornton v. Caldor, Inc., 472 U.S. 703 (1985)
- Goldman v. Weinberger, 475 U.S. 503 (1986)
- Allegheny County v. ACLU, 492 U.S. 573 (1989)
- Kiryas Joel v. Grumet, 512 U.S. 687 (1994)
In the following Supreme Court case, Mr. Lewin drafted a brief amicus curiae and presented oral argument:
- Trans World Airlines, Inc. v. Hardison, 432 U.S. 63 (1977)
In the following Supreme Court cases, among many others, Mr. Lewin drafted and filed a brief amicus curiae:
- Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602 (1971)
- Town of Greece v. Galloway, 134 S.Ct. 1811 (2014)
- EEOC v. Abercrombie & Fitch, 135 S.Ct. 2028 (2015)
- Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia v. Comer, 137 S.Ct. 2012 (2017)
- Masterpiece Cakeshop Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, 138 S.Ct. 1719 (2018)
The Firm is continuing to file amicus curiae briefs in lower federal courts and in state courts on religious liberty issues.